Teenager killed in Hillsborough disaster ‘was responding to his name’

Gary Jones, one of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. Picture courtesy of Liverpool Echo
Gary Jones, one of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. Picture courtesy of Liverpool Echo
Have your say

A teenage victim of the Hillsborough disaster appeared to be responding while he was treated on the pitch, his cousin has said.

Gary Jones was 18-years-old when he died as a result of crushing at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final at Sheffield Wednesday’s ground.

At the new inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans at the game, video footage was shown to the jury of his cousin Paul Brennan crouching next to Gary as he was treated on the pitch at 3.35pm.

Mr Brennan told Christina Lambert, counsel to the inquests, that he held Gary’s hand, but did not play any part in the treatment he was being given.

“His eyes were closed but there was eye movements,” he said.

“Every time you shouted his name, it was as if, as far as I was concerned, it was a response. His eyes moved.

“I can’t really remember how many times I shouted his name, but it was every time I was talking to him there was movement of his, continuous movement for a couple of minutes, at least.”

Mr Brennan said that was the only sign of life he saw in Gary.

Anthony Hunter, a senior fireman who helped treat Gary, said he could not remember feeling a pulse but wouldn’t have started treatment if he had not thought there were no signs of one.

He said: “My recognition is that he was limp but his face wasn’t in agony. He looked quite peaceful.

“We laid him down on the ground and some of us proceeded to do CPR, cardiac respiration, to him.”

Fellow firefighter David Sweetman said he attempted to give Gary mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

He said: “Before starting mouth-to-mouth, you can feel the carotid pulse near the airway, where it meets the jawline by feeling with two fingers, and I could not find a pulse.”

Further evidence about Gary’s death is still to be heard this week as the inquest proceedings continue.