A ONE-minute silence was held before a football match in memory of a 14-year-old Sheffield girl who died after inhaling fumes from an aerosol can.
Bethany Adcock, from Greenhill, collapsed at her home and was pronounced dead at Sheffield Children’s Hospital a short time later. Medics had been unable to revive her.
The Meadowhead School pupil was a talented footballer and played for Sheffield United Community Ladies FC’s under-15s team.
Her team’s game was cancelled at the weekend to give shocked teammates time to try to come to terms her death but the club’s first team played and dedicated the game to Bethany.
During the one-minute silence the players gathered with heads bowed. They had a framed photo of Bethany and her teammates with them.
Club spokesman Dave Smith said: “Everyone at Sheffield United Community LFC was deeply shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Bethany Kate Adcock, one of the club’s bright and cheerful junior players.
“United dedicated their first team’s County Cup tie on Sunday to her. A minute’s silence was observed prior to kick off.
“Bethany’s team, the under-15s, had understandably postponed their Saturday fixture.
“Fittingly, the first team recorded a new record margin of victory for that team, beating Brampton Rovers AFC 14-0.
“Sadly this isn’t the first time this year United Community LFC have been in mourning over the loss of a young player.
“In May, Naomi Smith from the under-16s tragically lost her brave fight against leukaemia.
“United wish to express their sincere condolences to Bethany’s family, friends and United teammates at this very difficult time.”
Bethany’s friends gathered at the weekend to release hundreds of Chinese lanterns as a tribute to her.
Scores of bouquets have been laid at her school, where counsellors are available for pupils struggling to come to terms with the death.
South Yorkshire Police officers are carrying out enquiries on behalf of the coroner, but the death is not being treated as suspicious.