Tea light causes fire in Barnsley flat

Share this article
Have your say

Firefighters were called out to a blaze in a South Yorkshire flat after a candle set fire to a pair of curtains.

The blaze, in Grange Court, Park Street, Wombwell, Barnsley, was reported to emergency services on Monday, at midnight.

When firefighters arrived at the flat they found the flames were contained to the window area near to where a tea light had been burning.

The woman whose flat it was escaped unharmed and her neighbours evacuated their homes as a precaution.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue said: “The lady was already out of the flat when the crews arrived. A tea light had accidently set fire to a curtain.

“Firefighters put the fire out and ventilated the flat.

“To prevent candles causing a fire in your home don’t leave them burning in a room with no one in it.

“Make sure they’re in holders that won’t fall over.

“Put night lights or tea lights on a heat-resistant surface and keep them away from curtains and furniture, and not under a surface, like a shelf.”