A NEWLY-qualified paramedic who nearly electrocuted a colleague while trying to revive a heart attack patient has been banned from working alone for 18 months.
Sheffield Hallam University graduate Deborah Gosling was about to deliver a high-voltage shock even though a fellow paramedic was performing CPR.
She didn’t tell him to stand clear and the procedure was stopped by her mentor, the Health Professions Council heard.
Gosling had just qualified as a paramedic at the time of the incident in September 2008 and was based at Middlewood Ambulance Station.
But she displayed a ‘consistent lack of knowledge of drugs and procedures’.
As a newly qualified paramedic, she was supposed to work under supervision for five weeks before attending jobs alone.
But repeated concerns meant the period was extended and she was demoted to assistant practitioner in November 2009, a position she still holds.
A string of charges were proved at the Health Professions Council hearing in London and she was ordered to work under supervision for 18 months.
Chairman William Nelson said: “There were failings in her skills and knowledge.She was given a considerable amount of support to enable her to improve and was unable to demonstrate consistently these had reached a level which would have allowed her to practice autonomously.”
Clinical team educator Simon Bird said despite extra training, Gosling failed skills assessments.
He said: “Quite often I would ask her to talk about a particular drug and her stock answer was, ‘I don’t know’.
“Ordinarily they come back the next day having read up on it.
“That never happened. She did not really seem that interested in furthering her knowledge or career.”