Students evacuated after microwave fire

Share this article
Have your say

STUDENTS were evacuated from Stephenson Hall of Residence, Oakholme Road, Sheffield, after food caught fire in a microwave. Firefighters were also called to another microwave blaze at a house on Gorse Valley Road, Hasland, Chesterfield, and a washing machine which caught fire at a house on Birchwood View, Mosborough, Sheffield.

A SOUTH Yorkshire MP has accused Policing Minister Nick Herbert of ‘stripping’ the county of officers - and asked him to re-think cuts. John Healey, Labour MP for Wentworth and Dearne, made his comments during a debate in the House of Commons. South Yorkshire Police is due to lose around £40m in the next three years.

ARSONISTS are believed to be responsible for fires involving a children’s play shelter at Brinsworth Road, Brinsworth, tyres found alight at industrial premises on Randall Street in Sheffield city centre, and a Peugeot 308 car destroyed on Cordwell Avenue, Dunston, Chesterfield.

HEAT from a stove is believed to have caused the surrounding wooden mantelpiece to catch fire at a house. Smoke alarms woke the occupants of the property, on South Lea Road, Hoyland, just after midnight on Sunday. They escaped unhurt and called firefighters.

A RECYCLING wheelie bin was set alight outside Morrisons supermarket on Bawtry Road, Bramley, Rotherham.