Stolen car crashes into bus during police chase in Sheffield

A stolen car being chased by the police crashed into a bus at a busy crossroads in Sheffield city centre this morning.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 5:44 pm

A convoy of police cars with their lights flashing and sirens sounding were heading out of Sheffield city centre along Derek Dooley Way when the car they were following crashed with a bus at the junction with The Wicker at 6.15am.

The blue Vauxhall Antara was involved in a smash with a single decker bus operated by First, which had been travelling along The Wicker at the time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Paramedics treated those involved, who were described by one witness as ‘walking wounded’.

The collision caused traffic chaos for rush hour commuters, but traffic is now flowing normally.

Office worker Claire Hawley, who was travelling to work at the time, said: “Heading towards me on the other side of Derek Dooley Way, towards The Wicker, I could see a line of police cars travelling in convoy.

“They all had their lights flashing and their sirens sounding as they approached the junction.

“There was a bus travelling along The Wicker at that exact moment and the next thing I knew there was a big bang and some smoke and I saw the bus drive off, presumably to pull up somewhere safe further down the road. When the bus moved away that’s when I saw two cars in the middle of the Wicker, with one of them all mangled up.

“The convoy of police cars all stopped and I saw some police officers helping people out of the damaged cars. I also saw some others running up to the bus, where I saw passengers getting off.

“As I continued my journey I saw police cars coming from all directions.”

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “A blue Vauxhall Antara was in collision with a single decker bus on Derek Dooley Way at around 6.15am today.

“The car was reported as stolen from the Langwith area of Nottinghamshire in the early hours of this morning.

“Two men travelling in the Antara, 42 and 29-years-old, have been arrested.

“A female passenger on the bus as well as the 29-year-old in the car, are both believed to have been injured, however they do not appear to be serious injuries at this time.”