Stocksbridge bounce back to move up table; Sheffield FC in heavy home defeat

Sheffield FC were well beaten 4-0 at home by high- riding Spalding United, who stretched their unbeaten away league record to six.

Monday, 24th October 2016, 4:16 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 6:58 pm
Ben Rhodes' cross nestles in the Kidsgrove net for Stocksbridge's equaliser. Photo Gillian Handisides

Club trailed after nine minutes when Jordan Lemon was allowed too much space to beat Chris Butt with a terrific strike.

Sheffield responded with James Gregory curling an effort narrowly wide, but a controversial decision in the final minute of the half saw James Colliver’s side concede a second goal.

The match official waved away Spalding’s appeal for a penalty following a Tom Rose challenge on a forward but after consulting with his assistant, who was further away from the incident, awarded the spot kick which Cenk Acar tucked away.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield got off to the worse possibly start to the second half as Conor Higginson capitalised on some hesitancy in the defence to thump the ball home for 3-0.

Sheffield kept plugging away and Alec Denton saw his shot blocked by the keeper, before Corbin Shires did beat the shot-stopper only for a defender to clear off the line.

But Spalding hit their fourth seven minutes from time, Acar hitting his second with a well-placed 20-yard effort.

Stocksbridge Park Steels are up to fifth in Division One South after coming from a goal down to win 2-1 at lowly Kidsgrove Athletic.

Steels hadn’t conceded in the last four league outings buttrailed on 12 minutes when Ben Mills’ speculative effort found its way past David Reay.

Stocksbridge switched to 4-3-3 in the second half, forward Kimarni Smith coming on for his debut after joining on loan from Sheffield United to accompany Joe Lumsden and Nat Crofts in attack.

They began to dominate as Lumsden (twice) and Crofts went close before they deservedly equalised, albeit in fortunate circumstance ,when Ben Rhodes’ intended cross dropped inside the far post.

The winner came five minutes from time. Lumsden slamming the ball under the keeper from six-yards.

Shaw Lane AFC maintained their four-point lead at the top with a straight forward 3-0 win at Gresley FC.

Gavin Allott gave the Ducks a first half lead with Spencer Harris doubling the advantage on 72 minutes after a long period of pressure, Kieron Lugsden hitting the third late on as Shaw Lane made it just one defeat from 14 league outings.