A GIRL aged three has died after her dress caught light when it come into contact with a gas fire at her gran’s house in South Yorkshire.
Sophie Firth, who had a role in TV’s Emmerdale as a baby, lost her battle to survive serious burns on Tuesday after doctors spent nine days trying to save her.
Sophie’s mum Amy Harhoff, 28, desperately tried to save her daughter by smothering her in a blanket.
Paramedics took her to Sheffield for treatment for 70 per cent burns before she was transferred to Newcastle.
Doctors tried to save her but after a skin graft she developed a blood infection and her organs began to fail.
Her family including dad Neil, a project manager for Doncaster Council, and mum Amy, a council traffic planner, of Austerfield, Doncaster, were with her when she died.
Sophie’s uncle Mick Harhoff said: “She was such a lovely little girl and she was exceptionally bright. She always used to say she wanted to be a princess. You expect one day you may bury your parents but you never expect to bury a child.”
The tragedy in Skellow is believed to have happened when Sophie leant over the gas fire and her dress caught on fire.