South Yorkshire runners go through pain barrier for marathon success

Blades fan Andy Moore
Blades fan Andy Moore
Have your say

Runners across South Yorkshire are recovering and celebrating after completing the London Marathon.

More than 30,000 people took part in Sunday’s 26.2-mile event around the capital city, including dozens from North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire.

For Sheffield United fan and dad Andy Moore, the day was doubly eventful – as he had to rush to Wembley to see his side take on Hull City in the FA Cup semi-final after completing the run.

The 34-year-old, from Rotherham, had promised his daughters, Maisie, aged eight, and six-year-old Gracie, the trip to see his side.

He completed the marathon in four hours and 21 minutes before trekking across the capital to the stadium – even jogging the final stretch.

Andy said: “It went really well. I was aiming for four hours but this being my first marathon, I didn’t have much idea of how long it would take me.”

A slimmed-down Sally Salter

A slimmed-down Sally Salter

Ellie Gunning ran for the Sick Children’s Trust, which supported her friend’s son when he was seriously ill in hospital. She has raised more than £3,300 so far.

Ellie, who lives in Crookes with husband Duncan, 36 and children Amelia, eight, six-year-old Laurie and Harley, two, said: “It was hard, very hard. The heat made it a little bit difficult, but I finished in four hours 37 minutes.

“I’m really pleased. I didn’t go for a time, I just wanted to cross the line.”

Andy Howarth, aged 43, of Woodseats, ran in aid of the Neuroblastoma Society in memory of Alexander Strong, who died of the rare childhood cancer last year aged seven.

He said: “It was hard, but the crowd was unbelievable. I had my name on my top and everyone was shouting ‘come on Andy’.

“It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but I’m glad I did it. It’s one of those ‘bucket list’ things.

“Last year, a friend of mine ran for Alexander’s memory and raised a lot of money. We are hoping to do it each year and keep his memory alive.”

Sally Salter, aged 45, of Glen View, Mexborough, lost six stone before tackling the race. She said: “It went brilliantly – it was absolutely fantastic. I did it in four hours 14 minutes, and my target was four hours 15. It was an amazing day.

“Mile 22 was really hard. It was the point where my body just said ‘OK, what are you doing to me?’.”

Helen Lee, aged 39, Crookes, has been juggling her training with her work and caring for her two young sons, Josh, six, and Harry, four. She aims to raise £2,000 for Arthritis Research.

She said: “The last six miles were really hard. People have been incredibly generous.”

Police community support officer Katherine McFadzean, from Barnsley, ran for a Yorkshire-based heart charity Heart Research UK after her father, a former Huddersfield police sergeant, had successful major heart surgery.

She completed the event in four hours, 48 minutes, but admitted it was the hardest thing she has ever done.

She said: “I finished with the best feeling, and it made it all worthwhile knowing I’ve raised money for such a fantastic cause.”

Colin Wallace, aged 38 and from Doncaster, completed the marathon in five hours and three minutes, raising nearly £3,000 for the veterinary charity PDSA.

He was joined by 20 other PDSA runners raising funds for free veterinary treatment for sick and injured pets.

Forty-year-old Sarah Ludlam, of Gleadless, lost both her parents to cancer by the age of 26, as well as losing her friend Hayley Whitehead last year to breast cancer. She raised about £2,000 for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

She said: “It was amazing, absolutely fantastic. I did it in five hours 30 minutes and 33 seconds. I wanted to do it in five-and-a-half hours, but given the weather I was fine with the extra 30 seconds.”

Kyan and Melissa Batty, of Harthill, Sheffield, lost their newborn son, Owyn, when he was just 16 days old following complications during his birth.

Kyan, aged 29, has now raised more than £6,000 from completing challenges, including Sunday’s London Marathon.

He said: “I completed it in over five hours. I had a bit of trouble with my knee and had to stop for treatment. Apart from that it was great.”