Smoke alarm alerts Sheffield neighbour to pan fire

A smoke alarm alerted the neighbour of a Sheffield man to a fire.

Sunday, 15th May 2016, 9:46 am
Updated Sunday, 15th May 2016, 9:50 am
Oxspring Bank, Sheffield

The resident in Oxspring Bank, Wadsley Bridge, had gone to sleep on his sofa after leaving his oven on with a small amount of food in a pan on top of it.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters were called at 1.30am on Sunday morning to the address by a neighbour who heard the alarm going off.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said there had been a lot of smoke in the property.

The spokesman said the incident showed the importance of having working smoke alarms.