Sheffield Wednesday: Sean Clare's Owls future is in doubt as contract discussions stall
Sean Clare's future at Sheffield Wednesday is looking increasingly uncertain as discussions continue to drag on over a new contract.
Time is running out for Clare, who is currently recovering from ankle surgery, to pen a new deal.
The midfielder’s present contract runs out at the end of the season.
Talks have taken place between the midfielder’s representatives and the Championship club over the last two months. It is understood Clare has been offered a new deal.
However, manager Jos Luhukay has revealed that Clare is still no nearer to agreeing fresh terms.
Luhukay told The Star: “It’s a decision that Sean must make himself.
“It is not frustrating but we are trying to plan for the new season. Should Sean stay with us, we know what we are doing. If he doesn’t stay with us, we must look for a player in that position for the new season.”
Clare has played five times under Luhukay, scoring in the 4-2 defeat to Aston Villa in February. The 21-year-old, ruled out of Wednesday’s remaining fixtures through injury, has previously stated he is “enjoying” his time at Hillsborough.
“Sean is now in intense training to come back from surgery,” said Luhukay. “He needs time.”
Clare may not be the only youngster who leaves the Owls this summer. George Hirst, heavily linked with a move to Manchester United earlier this week, looks set to move on, having rejected a new long-term deal which Wednesday’s hierarchy claim would have made him the best-paid player for his age in their history.
Luhukay said: “This is the situation between George and the club of course.
“It’s a very difficult situation and we must look in the future at what we can do.
“We’ll do the best for Wednesday and the team, but we try also to help the young players to start a good career here.
“I think George is a fantastic player, but where is his future? I cannot say.
“Is it the Championship with us? Is it the Premier League?”