Sheffield Wednesday match report: Owls 1 Ipswich Town 2

Sheffield Wednesday suffered a third home defeat of the season, losing 2-1 against mid-table Ipswich Town after a late winner by Luke Chambers.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 5th November 2016, 3:59 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:23 pm
Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich Town
Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich Town

Tractor Boys skipper Chambers headed home in the 87th minute after a neat knockdown by Christophe Berra following a Grant Ward free-kick.

Gary Hooper cancelled out Tom Lawrence's stunning first half opener, scoring for the third successive match at Hillsborough.

The result stretches the Owls' winless run against the Tractor Boys to eight matches.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Wednesday chief Carlos Carvalhal shuffled his pack, making three alterations to the team who lost at Derby County last time out.

Goalkeeper Keiren Westwood returned to the starting line-up, having shrugged off a back problem.

Carvalhal also handed first-team recalls to Jack Hunt and Steven Fletcher, with Cameron Dawson, Liam Palmer and Fernando Forestieri dropping to the bench.

It was the visitors who had the first sight at goal, with David McGoldrick, who had a loan spell at Wednesday five years ago, who tricked his way past Sam Hutchinson before firing over.

On a bitterly cold afternoon, the Owls took a while to get going. Barry Bannan, making his 50th league appearance for the club, saw his fierce long range shot go over after a positive run by Kieran Lee.

For our Owls news and opinion on twitter follow hereIpswich, languishing in the lower reaches of the division, continued to defend in numbers and make life difficult for the hosts.

But Wednesday almost broke the deadlock in the 25th minute, Fletcher, fit-again following a head cut which required several stitches, heading over David Jones' corner.

For all their neat approach play, there was little end product from Carvalhal's men and the Tractor Boys made them pay just after the half hour mark courtesy of a superb solo goal by Tom Lawrence. The winger robbed Jack Hunt of possession and dribbled forward at pace before drilling a lovely right foot shot into the bottom corner. It was only the second goal Ipswich had scored from open play on their travels this season.

But Ipswich's joy was short-lived as Hooper levelled things up in the 36th minute, tapping in the 100th goal of the Carvalhal reign after Bartosz Bialkowski failed to hang on to Jones' low drive.

After half-time, Hooper was brilliantly denied a second by the agility of Bialkowski, who dived to his right to keep out his fierce shot, and Lee stabbed the follow up inches off target.

The Owls were well on top and Fletcher nodded over Hunt's teasing delivery as they continued to dominate proceedings.

Carvalhal freshened up his attacking options, throwing on Forestieri at the expense of the ineffectual Adam Reach.

For more news from Hillsborough click hereClear-cut opportunities were few and far between. Jones tried his luck from distance but his effort never threatened to trouble Bialkowski.

Against the run of play, Ipswich nearly regained the lead through in the 81st minute but Westwood spread himself superbly to keep Sears at bay after a lovely pass by Grant Ward.

Moments later, it took and inch perfect tackle by Tom Lees inside the six-yard box to stop substitute Jonathan Williams from converting Ward's centre as the Tractor Boys pressed hard for a winner. It looked a certain goal but was a heroic piece of defending by Lees.

And Ipswich's pressure paid off as Chambers' header ensured they secured maximum points.

The margin of their victory could have been even greater had McGoldrick not dragged his shot from an acute angle wide.

Owls: Westwood; Hunt, Lees, Hutchinson, Pudil; Bannan, Lee, Jones (Jones 74), Reach (Forestieri 57); Hooper (Abdi 81), Fletcher. Substitutes: Dawson, Palmer, Loovens, Buckley.

Ipswich: Bialkowski; Chambers, Berra, Webster, Knudsen; Ward (Varney 90), Bishop (Williams 69), Skuse, Lawrence (Bru 79); McGoldrick, Sears. Substitutes: Gerken, Best, Emmanuel, Kenlock.

Referee: Andy Madley (West Yorkshire)

Attendance: 25,851