Sheffield Wednesday: Carvalhal rules out January sales

Sheffield Wednesday have ruled out selling any of their top performers this month.

Friday, 22nd January 2016, 6:53 am
Updated Friday, 22nd January 2016, 6:59 am
Andy Rhodes, left, and Carlos Carvalhal

Speaking at his press briefing yesterday, head coach Carlos Carvalhal told The Star that the Owls have turned down bids for some members of his first-team squad in the January transfer window.

Earlier in the campaign, Wednesday rejected big-money offers for goalkeeper Keiren Westwood and defender Tom Lees and Carvalhal has been given assurances by chairman Dejphon Chansiri that no one will be leaving the Championship promotion hopefuls.

“We are not selling any players during this period,” he told The Star. “We are improving the players.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Some offers have come to our players but I have met with our chairman and he has made it very clear that we are not selling any players in January. That’s the reality.

“Our players are not on the market and that is good news for us. Sometimes it is better not to sell a player than bringing someone in.”

Aside from securing the services of Gary Hooper on a permanent basis, Carvalhal insists he has no “stress” about finalising other incoming transfer deals.

“We don’t need a revolution in the team,” he said. “We are in a good position.

“We have players who are coming back from injuries. Not one or two. Maybe five or six that I haven’t had in the last couple of months. They will be like new players.”