Sheffield teenager jailed for life after killing friend who started a relationship with his mother

A teenager who knifed a former friend to death after he started a relationship with his mother, has been jailed for life.

Lucas Bigley, aged 19, of Wadsley Lane, was sentenced to life in prison after killing former friend Matthew Wilson after an altercation on Saturday, May 28.

Hull Crown Court heard emergency services were called to Wadsley Lane, in the early hours of the morning following reports a man had been stabbed and was bleeding heavily.

Matthew, also 19, was taken to hospital but later died as a result of multiple stab wounds.

The jury was told while Matthew was being transported to hospital, officers began their search for Bigley and using information from witnesses who were able to track him down to a property close by.

His clothing was heavily blood stained and he was seeking to wash blood from his hands. He was immediately arrested and taken into custody.

A search of the garden at that address led to the recovery of the knife used in the attack.

A jury at Hull Crown Court found him guilty of murder and he has been sentenced to life, to serve a minimum of 22 years in prison.

In a statement released from Matthew's family read: “We are relieved that the trial of Lucas Bigley is now over and we are satisfied with today’s verdict. While we regard the sentence Bigley has been given as fair, no sentence will ever bring Matt back to us.

“We too have been handed a life sentence. We would now wish our privacy to be respected as we try to come to terms with today’s events.”

Detective Chief Inspector Craig Jackson, who oversaw this investigation spoke after the court case.

He said: “I would like to take this opportunity to extend my condolences to Matthew’s family, who have carried themselves with dignity and shown incredible strength throughout our investigation.

“This was a violent and brutal attack on Matthew, a young man whom Bigley once considered his friend.

“There is no excuse for the level of violence he exerted on Matthew, who suffered a number of severe stab wounds any one of which would have proved fatal.

“The court heard how both he and the victim knew each other for many years, but their friendship broke down after Matthew began a romantic relationship with Bigley’s mother.

“His anger and frustration came to the fore in the early hours of that morning in May. A young man who had everything to live for has now tragically lost his life, leaving behind devastated family and friends. Another family will have to deal with their loved one being incarcerated for a considerable period of time.

“This case truly highlights the danger of individuals carrying knives – in a split second lives can be changed, ruined and lost.”