Sheffield street sealed off after blaze destroys derelict shops

Fireman damp down after a fire at Paper Mill Rd,Shiergreen
Fireman damp down after a fire at Paper Mill Rd,Shiergreen
Have your say

A SHEFFIELD street had to be sealed off after a fire broke out in a row of shops in the early hours.

Police cordoned off both ends of Paper Mill Road, just off Bellhouse Road, in Shiregreen from around 4am yesterday when a terrace of derelict shops went up in flames.

At the height of the blaze three pumps from stations around the city and one aerial platform were being used to fight the fire.

And extra precautions had to be taken when a roof of one of the properties collapsed.

Firefighters were still damping down throughout yesterday morning and the street remained sealed off as police warned motorists not to use the road as the entire row of buildings was at risk of collapse.

Former steelworker Peter Hallatt, aged 38, and his wife Jan, 37, who live on the road, said they woken at around 4am.

Mr Hallatt said: “At first we saw the blue lights which seemed to be stretching right up the road.

“Then we could hear the sound of the pumps so we both got up to see what was going on.

“Thankfully we live far enough away not to be too badly affected but it was a pretty big fire and the fire crews have been here all night.”

Jan added: “We are OK because the fire was a block away but you could see it was a massive blaze.”

Police and fire experts are investigating the cause of the fire. No one was injured in the incident.

n Three people were taken to hospital after breathing in fumes during a fire in Clowne, near Chesterfield.

Fire crews from Staveley, Bolsover, Aston and Chesterfield were called after a semi-detached house on Rose Avenue was reported to be on fire at around 8.45am yesterday. Two pumps were used to extinguish the fire and firefighters using an aerial platform to remove tiles from the roof to damp down the flames.Police and fire investigators are looking into the cause.

And firefighters from Clay Cross and Chesterfield were also called out after a chimney stack on a house on Thanet Street, Clay Cross, caught for as the homeowners watched the Jubilee celebrations on TV at 3.30pm on Sunday.