ONE of the busiest streets in Sheffield city centre was closed last night while firefighters dealt with a blaze at a block of flats.
Fire crews were called to the Sinclair House Flats on Regent Street, just off West Street, at 11pm to reports that people were trapped on their balconies on the fifth floor unable to escape because of smoke.
They discovered that a bin store had been set alight and had set fire a gas main.
Firefighters extinguished the flames and cooled the gas main until specialist arrived to cap the gas supply.
Nobody needed to be evacuated from the flats.
Firefighters spent two hours dealing with the incident and West Street re-opened at around 1am.