Sheffield residents spot smoke in their flats as emergency services rush to rubbish fire
A number of emergency response vehicles attended what turned out to be a small rubbish fire at a block of flats in Upperthorpe yesterday afternoon (December 10).
Neighbours reported seeing three fire engines, ambulances and police vehicles at the scene.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue confirmed there was a small fire in the bin store within Martin Tower on Martin Street.
It did not escalate into anything more serious.
A spokesperson added: “Some smoke had travelled up the bin chute and entered a few of the flats but the crews extinguished it quickly and made sure everyone in the affected flats was OK.”
A police spokesperson said officers attended as a precaution in case crowd control was required, but the fire was extinguished very quickly and this was not needed.
They said: “We received a call at around 4pm to reports of a fire in a block of flats on Martin Street.
“The fire was extinguished at around 4:15pm. No injuries were reported to us.”