Sheffield McDonald’s ‘machete attack’ – Everything we know so far
This is everything we know about a reported machete attack in Sheffield city centre.
- Police and an ambulance were called to reports of an incident outside the McDonald’s restaurant in High Street at about 9.30am this morning.
- An eyewitness claimed one man attacked another with a machete.
- Video footage emerged of a man with blood streaming down his face.
- An image has also been shared showing the dramatic moment police arrested a suspect.
- A 47-year-old man suffered non-life threatening injuries and has been taken to hospital by ambulance.
- A 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, possession of a knife or bladed article and possession of drugs. He is currently in police custody awaiting interview.
- Superintendent Paul McCurry said officers responded immediately after spotting a man with a machete on CCTV.
- A number of city centre buildings were placed on lockdown and people were not allowed to leave while police dealt with the incident.
- A McDonald’s spokesperson said the incident started outside the restaurant, which was closed for a short time while detectives investigated.