A Sheffield man’s dream holiday was ruined after he became severely ill with food poisoning and collapsed on a cruise ship.
Michael Collins, aged 69, from Owlthorpe. suffered a gastric illness on board the Thomson Celebration ship during a cruise with his wife at the end of September 2014.
Just a few days into the ‘awful’ holiday he began suffering with stomach pains and diarrhoea and was treated by staff onboard.
But his symptoms continued and he collapsed.
Other passengers claimed that food was served lukewarm and was left uncovered.
They also alleged that the use of alcohol gel, designed to prevent the spread of illness through the ship, was not always monitored or enforced after people fell ill onboard.
Michael is now taking legal action against the company.
He said: “I felt absolutely terrible for the last week of the cruise and suffered with terrible symptoms.
“The trip was completely ruined as I couldn’t enjoy the facilities or the excursions that were booked.”
Michael added: “I was extremely concerned when I collapsed as I left the ship and the last thing you expect when booking a holiday is to end up stuck in a foreign hospital for two days recovering from dehydration and the significant symptoms I endured.
“We have been left with awful memories of this holiday and we hope by instructing Irwin Mitchell we will get the answers we want about why we fell so ill.”
After collapsing Michael spent two days in hospital in Marmaris, Turkey, and was diagnosed with dehydration, before being discharged to go back to a hotel.
A total of 12 passengers were also ill onboard the same ship during 2014 and 2015.