Sheffield man jailed for killing workmate after a row over football

Dean Hartley has been jailed for killing a workmate
Dean Hartley has been jailed for killing a workmate
Have your say

A Sheffield man has been jailed for eight years for killing a workmate after flooring him with a single punch following an argument over football.

Dean Hartley, aged 30, struck Karl Swift with such a blow he suffered a broken jaw and was knocked unconscious before hitting the floor in New Road, Halesowen, West Midlands, where the men were working.

Dad-of-two Karl Swift died after he was punched by Dean Hartley

Dad-of-two Karl Swift died after he was punched by Dean Hartley

The pair and other workmates - all from South Yorkshire - had been drinking at a pub in the town on September 8 last year after finishing work.

West Midlands Police said there was a disagreement between Hartley and Mr Swift, 33, which saw them ’square up’ and ended up with the victim leaving the pub and the rest of the group being asked to leave shortly after.

As they walked back to their accommodation Mr Swift was ahead of the rest of his workmates but Hartley caught him up and punched him - leaving the victim with a fractured skull as he hit the ground.

He died in hospital two days later.

Hartley, of Burnaby Crescent, Walkley, initially denied any involvement in his death, claiming Mr Swift had fallen onto the pavement.

He later admitted punching the dad-of-two, who was from Kimberworth, Rotherham, but claimed it was in self-defence.

Hartley was found guilty of manslaughter and perverting the cause of justice yesterday following a two week trial.

He was sentenced to eight years and three months behind bars.

Detective Inspector Paul Joyce, of West Midlands Police, said: "Mr Swift was left with a broken jaw and unconscious before he even hit the floor which shows the severity of the blow he suffered.

"Mr Swift had walked away following the previous pub dispute - which saw him slapped in the face by another member of the group - and had shown no signs of violence. It became clear from our investigations he had been assaulted in an unprovoked attack and we set about getting justice.

"Hartley initially lied over what happened and then tried to cover his actions by claiming he acted in self-defence. I am pleased the jury saw through these lies and he now faces time behind bars."