Sheffield man beaten to death

Mr Anthony Power
Mr Anthony Power
Have your say

A SUCCESSFUL Sheffield businessman was stamped on, kicked and punched as he tried to crawl away from the violent bloody attack which led to his death, a court heard.

Jurors at Sheffield Crown Court heard harrowing evidence that 78-year-old Anthony Power’s teeth were found scattered around him, along with his glasses, shoes and wallet.

The final steps of the founder of lingerie firm Panache were retraced as the first day of the trial of Imran Khan got underway.

Khan, 30, denies murdering Mr Power, who died as a result of injuries sustained in High Hazels Park, in Darnall, last autumn.

Mr Power was in the park searching for his missing brother Noel, who has dementia.

Khan is alleged to have attacked Mr Power with a series of repeated, heavy blows before making off with cash and keys to Mr Power’s luxury Bentley car.

Mr Power’s niece Cheriene Bailey spotted Khan at the wheel of the vehicle minutes later - and he told her he’d been given the keys ‘to rev the car up’, then fled from the scene.

Prosecutor Simon Waley told the court: “Mr Power suffered facial injuries caused by repeated punches, kicks, stamps, or a combination of all three.

“Forensic evidence suggests he was at or near ground level for most of the attack. His movement suggests he was doing his best to get away from the attacker.”

Police were called to the park at 9pm on October 8.

Mr Power, a grandfather, father-of-four, and a well-known figure in the city after setting up his underwear-manufacturing company in 1982, was rushed to hospital but died on October 26.

Khan admits that later on the night of October 8 he assaulted prostitute Zoe Gilliband in Neepsend, before turning up at the home of his ex and smashing her windows.

Mr Waley said: “He told his ex-girlfriend, ‘I’ve just beaten someone up, I’m getting 12 years’.”

And witness Sajaad Rashid, who appeared in court via a videolink, told the court he had been drinking with Khan on a bench earlier in the evening before he was punched by the defendant.

Khan, of Handsworth Road, Darnall, had denied two counts of battery on Mr Rashid and Miss Gilliband in the hours before and after the attack on Mr Power, but admitted both as yesterday’s hearing began.

Over the next three days the murder trial is set to include evidence from Mr Power’s niece, Home Office pathologist Dr Naomi Carter, and forensic scientist Elizabeth Harris.

Timeline of events, October 8:

7.40pm: Mr Power arrives at Handsworth Road, the home of his brother Noel and sister-in-law Maureen, in his Bentley with niece Cheriene Bailey. Minutes later Noel, who has dementia, wanders out of the house.

7.57pm: CCTV footage shows Mr Power looking for his brother in The White Rose pub nearby. Unsuccessful, he parks his car near High Hazels Park and continues the search on foot.

8.11pm: Police find Noel safe and well, and alert his family, but Mr Power is still missing.

8.45pm: Imran Khan is found sitting in Mr Power’s car. Mrs Bailey challenges him and he hands her the keys before fleeing the scene.

9pm: A badly-beaten Mr Power is found in High Hazels Park and is rushed to the Northern General Hospital.

11.45pm: Khan is ‘moved on’ by police after assaulting prostitute Zoe Gilliband. He is arrested shortly afterwards for smashing the windows at ex-girlfriend Portia Campell’s flat.