Clifford C of E Infant School will become a primary school in September and will open under the new name Clifford All Saints C of E Voluntary Aided Primary School.
It will operate over two sites - on Psalter Lane, Nether Edge, where it has been a since since 1832, and on the site of the former Ecclesall Junior School, on Ringinglow Road.
The move is part of a wider scheme to meet the increase in demand on school places in the area following an increase in birth rates.
The school will work in collaboration with the communities of St Andrews Psalter Lane Church and All Saints Ecclesall Church.
Headteacher Sue Preston said: ‘This is a wonderful moment in our school’s history.
"Our soon-to-be year three trailblazers are looking forward to exploring their new home, along with their year two classmates, where they will have access to a garden, a new class pet, resource room and a fantastic curriculum.
"Our current site will soon have its own pre-school class too, meaning we can offer a through primary education to pupils wanting a nurturing education within a family atmosphere.
"Clifford is a very happy school where the uniqueness of each child is known, valued and developed, and we are delighted to enable our pupils to continue their educational journey with us to year six."
Meanwhile, Ecclesall Junior School will be merging Ecclesall Infants, at its site on High Storrs Road, to form a new primary school as part of a Â£4.9million expansion.
The infant school will increase capacity from 60 to 90 pupils per year group.
The site has been extended to cover two-and-a-half times its original floor space and will also accommodate the existing 360-place junior school.
Building work has also been carried out at Totley Primary School. The Â£2.1m work will enable the school to offer an extra 60 places from September.