Sheffield house fire which killed two was accidental

A Sheffield house fire which killed two people was started accidentally, according to fire and rescue.

Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 16:07 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 15:09 pm
The remains of a farmhouse after a blaze in Sheffield - Picture: BBC Radio Sheffield

Yesterday The Star reported how ‘friendly and kind’ elderly couple died when a fire ripped through their 17th Century farmhouse on Spout Lane, Stannington.

The couple, who were named locally as Len and Freda, both in their 90s, were both found dead inside the Grade II listed building.

Tributes have been paid to a woman who died in a house fire in Sheffield

Today, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said that the fatal fire was started accidentally. A tweet said: “Investigation into Farmhouse fire in Stannington where elderly couple died is found to be accidental, believed to be cooking related.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Emergency services were called to the property shortly after 3am on Monday and found it engulfed in flames.

By early afternoon, two bodies had been recovered.

In the wake of the tragedy, neighbours paid tribute to the couple.

Tributes have been paid to a woman who died in a house fire in Sheffield

Neighbour Ann Currier said: “I’m really sorry for them, what a terrible way to go. They were so friendly, sociable and kind and both did a lot in the community.”