Sheffield house 'explosion' took four fire engines to tackle blaze

FIre officers are still on the scene after a house went up in a suspected gas expolsion in Southey Green last night.

Sunday, 6th November 2016, 10:48 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:02 pm
Southey Green fire

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have said the incident is still open and there are no indications that fireworks were involved.

A spokesperson for SYFR said: "I can conform we had four fire engines at the scene after being called out at 6.35pm last night, but this is all we can say at this time as it is still an open incident."

Fire fighters tackled the blaze for four hours before the last engine left the house at 10.29pm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There were unconfirmed reports on social media that a gas explosion caused the blaze, which claimed the life of the family dog who was trapped inside.

No one else was apparently injured in the fire which spread to the loft and roof area of 284 Southey Green Road in Longley.

Natasha Jayne, who lived in the house with her young daughter, responded to well wishers on Facebook. "Thanks everyone this is my house I'm ok, unfortunately my dog was in the house he hasn't been found yet I am guttered about him but thanks everyone."

One Facebook commentator noted: "I think community should get a collection together to help out as they have lost everything."