A woman has been killed in a hit-and-run near Sheffield city centre on Saturday morning.
Here is what we know so far.
- A 28-year-old woman has died after being hit by a car at about 1.55am this morning.
- She was a crossing St Mary’s Road when she was hit by a grey Fiat Bravo, which was travelling towards London Road.
- A 51-year-old Sheffield man was driving the car.
- The car failed to stop at the scene and was later found burned out in Heeley.
- The driver was arrested earlier this morning, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and failing to stop.
- He is in police custody being questioned by officers.
- The car had only one working headlight.
- Police believe it travelled along Bramall Lane, past the BP garage and towards Heeley after the collision.
- The victim has not yet been formally identified. Her family are being supported by specialist officers.
- Part of St Mary’s Gate was cordoned off for several hours while specialist forensic officers carried out an investigation.
- The road has now reopened.
- Police are keen to speak to anyone who saw the car before or after it happened.
- They are keen to speak to any taxi drivers with dashcam footage.
- Anyone who saw the crash, or the grey Fiat Bravo before or after is asked to contact police on 101 quoting incident 98 of October 13, 2018.