Sheffield factory worker allegedly beat colleague to death – court

Simon Holdsworth
Simon Holdsworth
Share this article
Have your say

A Sheffield factory worker ‘lay in wait’ for a colleague making his way home in the dark and beat him to death with a bar or bat, a court has heard.

Shaun Wainwright is alleged to have killed fellow worker Simon Holdsworth on playing fields by Rainbow Forge Primary School in Hackenthorpe on the evening of December 16, 2013.

Tributes close to the scene were Mr Holdsworth's body was discovered in a field

Tributes close to the scene were Mr Holdsworth's body was discovered in a field

Mr Holdsworth’s body was found on the playing fields the following morning by a member of the public.

Both Wainwright and Mr Holdsworth had worked at FBS Prestige on Birley Vale Avenue and had been on the same shift that night.

Wainwright, aged 46, of Dagnam Road, Arbourthorne, denies the murder of Mr Holdsworth, a 36-year-old father, who was engaged to be married to his partner Carleen McKeown.

Peter Moulson QC, prosecuting, told a jury at Teesside Crown Court in Middlesbrough today that Wainwright knew the way Mr Holdsworth walked back after work to his home on Westfield Avenue.

Simon Holdsworth, 36, and fiancee Carleen McKeown

Simon Holdsworth, 36, and fiancee Carleen McKeown

He said Wainwright had parked his car close to the playing fields moments before the attack took place.

Mr Moulson said: “The defendant was obviously concealed by the dark at the time of night and possibly by a hedgerow within the playing fields.

“Simon Holdsworth was only a few metres into his walk when the defendant attacked him.

“The defendant struck a number of blows to his head with a bar or bat. The blows were delivered with severe force.

“Simon Holdsworth died at the scene.

“After the attack, the defendant left the scene, returned to his vehicle and drove away a couple of minutes or so after, later that evening arriving at his home address.”

Mr Moulson said the jury will be shown CCTV footage during the course of the trial showing Wainwright’s car in the vicinity of the attack.

He added: “It is also true the defendant lied repeatedly to the police concerning his whereabouts at crucial times that evening. He refused to answer questions put to him by the police.”

The hearing continues.