Sheffield dad-of-four jailed for stabbing

Dean Tomlinson
Dean Tomlinson
Have your say

Father-of-four Dean Tomlinson has been jailed for nearly five years for stabbing a man in the back.

The breakfast-time attack on Hartley Brook Road, Shiregreen, left victim Lee Bierton with a two-centimetre deep wound.

Sheffield Crown Court heard both men and two others present were ‘extremely drunk’ after a night-time drinking session.

Warehouse worker Tomlinson, aged 35, of Concord Road, admitted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Louise Gallagher, prosecuting, said in the early hours Mr Bierton bumped into a friend, his brother and the friend’s brother-in-law Tomlinson.

* Other news:

Sheffield’s burglary hotspots exposed: is your area in the burglary top 10?

Why did this Sheffield pub hold an Aston Villa day when Sheffield Wednesday took on Villa

Sheffield Olympic nan praises golden grandson Adam Peat

Inadequate Sheffield care home fails second inspection in six months

Sheffield Wednesday: Win over Aston Villa was down to Atdhe Nuhiu says Carlos Carvalhal

Sheffield pub in dispute over claims of make shift beer garden on city’s green belt

They went to the Wordsworth petrol station and Mr Bierton, who knew Tomlinson from the Shiregeen area, accused him of being one of those who ‘gave him a good hiding’ in the past.

Tomlinson denied it but as the group walked along Deerlands Avenue Tomlinson went on ahead then returned as the trio got to Hartley Brook Road.

As Mr Bierton walked past he was stabbed in the back with a 10-inch long carving knife. “I must have had my back to him I didn’t see it,” he later told police.

Tomlinson, who was wearing a black jacket with the hood up, ran off and the victim fell to the ground.

Mr Bierton had the wound in his left upper back bandaged at the Northern General Hospital and Tomlinson handed himself in to police the same day.

He told police he had been drinking and there was a dispute between him and the victim and he thought he would be harmed so armed himself with a knife.

He had lain in wait for Bierton, stabbed him then disposed of the weapon in some undergrowth.

Tomlinson has previous convictions for assault and in August 2006 was jailed for three years for arson.

The court was told he accepted he had ‘done wrong’ and the extent of the 6.30am attack on Saturday, June 11 was unjustified but he was in fear of the complainant.

Recorder Graeme Cook told Tomlinson: “There was a historical problem between you two and you absented yourself from the scene.

“You went back to where he was going to be and armed yourself with a knife and during an altercation stabbed him in the back. Fortunately it was not life threatening.”

Tomlinson was jailed for four-and-a-half years for the wounding and 16 weeks consecutively for breaching a suspended jail term.