Sacked Hesley Village carer ‘lost control’

The Hesley Village in Stripe Road, Tickhill, Doncaster.
The Hesley Village in Stripe Road, Tickhill, Doncaster.
Have your say

A care worker who hit a severely disabled man he was supposed to be looking after has escaped a prison sentence.

Callum Smith has been ordered to do 250 hours of unpaid work after punching a 28-year-old man in his care four times at the Hesley Village care facility in Rossington.

The 24-year-old, of West End Lane, Rossington, must also obey a 7pm to 7am curfew for 12 weeks.

Robert Sandford, defending at Doncaster Magistrates’ Court yesterday, said: “On the day in question the victim, who suffers from a severe disability, was displaying very challenging behaviour to those entrusted in caring for him. He had been spitting, he kicked through a door to another resident’s flat and entered.

“He threw a mobile phone at a wall and he threw a mug, narrowly missing the defendant. The defendant should have been able to deal with that but there was a momentary loss of control.”

The incident occurred on September 28 last year at Hesley Village, a residential care facility for people with autism and other complex needs. The victim was uninjured.

Mr Sandford added: “The defendant has never before been in trouble with the law. He had, prior to this, worked in the area of caring for people for some four years. He has been dismissed from that employment. His career in that field has come to an end.”

Sentencing, lead magistrate Vernon Hoyle said: “We do take account of your previous good character and we do take account of your very challenging working environment that you have to contend with. However, this doesn’t in any sense justify striking a vulnerable person in your care.”

Smith must also pay a victim surcharge of £60, costs of £150 and compensation of £50.

Afterwards, Chris McSharry, CEO of Hesley Group, said: “We are extremely sorry that this has happened to someone using our service. We suspended Callum Smith immediately on the allegations being made and referred the matter to the police and the local Adults Safeguarding Team. Smith was subsequently dismissed from employment.”