A family are set to claim against a travel firm after they were struck down by illness at a ‘filthy’ Spanish resort.
Mum-of-two Jillian Hajrjizi, aged 47, saved up to go on a break with her husband Labinot, 27, and son Reece, 11, to San Antonio in Ibiza.
They were joined by her son Ryan, aged 27, and his family, totalling 20 people.
But the group, from Rotherham, endured horrid conditions, including being plagued by ants, while the food made the entire family ill.
Sausages were uncooked and one family member found a shard of glass in their omelette.
They also found algae in the pool and urine on the ground, which the family says was just covered with a towel.
A total of 17 members of the family have now involved Sheffield law firm Irwin Mitchell in the case against Thomas Cook and Jet 2 about the conditions of the three-star Azuline Mar Amantis Hotel.
Jillian, who paid £1,200 for her, Labinot and Reece to go on the all-inclusive break, said: “I realised it would not be the Ritz but it ended up being unbelievable. This was supposed to be a nice family holiday but it turned into the holiday from hell.”
Jatinder Paul, a personal injury lawyer at the firm, said: “It is shocking that 20 members of the same family have all suffered serious gastric symptoms, some of whom are children who can be more susceptible to long-term health problems as a result.
“In particular, Jillian’s 11-year-old son suffers epilepsy and as a result of the severe vomiting and diarrhoea he suffered he experienced seizures and required significant care from Jillian.”
A Thomas Cook spokesman said: “Thomas Cook takes health and hygiene issues very seriously and maintaining the safety of our customers is our number one priority. Thomas Cook operates both a quality assurance programme and routinely undertakes independent third party audits to ensure the very highest standards are maintained.
“While our investigation into the illness continues, we are unable to provide further comment so as not to unduly influence any potential legal proceedings.”
A Jet2holidays spokesman said: “We are sorry to hear about the family’s experience and, while they were not customers of Jet2holidays, we are investigating the reported incidents.”