Richard Stirrup scores on his debut as Stocksbridge keep up play-off hopes

Richard Stirrup heads in Stocksbridge's third goal in the 4-2 win over Loughborough Dynamo. Photo: Ian RevittRichard Stirrup heads in Stocksbridge's third goal in the 4-2 win over Loughborough Dynamo. Photo: Ian Revitt
Richard Stirrup heads in Stocksbridge's third goal in the 4-2 win over Loughborough Dynamo. Photo: Ian Revitt
Stocksbridge Park Steels kept alive their outside play-off hopes, beating Loughborough Dynamo 4-2 at home.

Stocksbridge deservedly went in front on 24 minutes. Richard Stirrup’s low drive looked to be going wide but Scott Ruthven cleverly diverted the the ball into the opposite corner to leave the keeper wrong-footed.

Adam Hinchliffe should have made it two but fired over then Nat Crofts was denied by a smart low save from Trolley.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hinchfliffe again put a decent chance over in the second half with Crofts flashing an angled drive inches wide of the far post.

Stocksbridge gained some breathing space with the second goal on 68 minutes. Loughborough failed to clear from a corner and Harrison Biggins knocked it low back into the middle Brodie Litchfield turned the ball home.

The third arrived six minutes later from another set-piece Stirrup marked his debut in his second spell with the club by out-jumping a defender at the far post to plant a header back across the goal into the far corner.

The visitors got one back when Demidh curled a good effort into Reay’s top right corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stoksbridge got the fourth in the fourth minutes of added time as Biggins ran at the heart of the defence before beating the keeper with a low 20-yard drive.

There was still time though for Loughborough to claw one back as substitute Sam Thorpe nodded in from a rebound off the bar.

Sheffield FC’s winless run stretched to five games but they came away with a good goalless draw at Chasetown.

Club keeper Chris Butt showed safe hands throughout the 90 minutes. Club defended well restricting the hosts to efforts from long distance.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Sheffield’s best spell came after the break with Alex Denton having a firmly hit shot on the turn blocked before Alex Pursehouse rattled the bar with a wicked inswinging corner.

Joel Purkiss forced the home keeper into another save at full stretch before Danny South’s header smacked against the upright from a Pursehouse free-kick

Shaw Lane AFC maintained their nine-point cushion at the top after coming from behind to beat play-off chasing Newcastle Town 2-1 at home.

Jordan Cole gave the visitors a surprise lead two minutes from the break but Ryan Qualter blasted home from close range after Gavin Allott head headed the ball down for the equaliser on 82 minutes. Then with almost the last kick of the game it was Allott who grabbed the winner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Frickley Athletic saw their relegation fears deepen with a 2-1 defeat at promotion chasing Warrington Town.

Adam Priestley had given Frickley a 25th minute lead only for Warrington to equalise in first half stoppage time then grab the winner two minutes from time.

Buxton had to settle for a point at home against leaders Warrington Town after Liam Hardy then Jamie Green had put the Bucks 2-0 up in the opening half hour before Spartans hit back with goals either side of the interval.

Matlock Town kept their play-off bid on course after three goals in the opening 20 minutes from Michael Williams, Rhys Sharpe and Dwayne Wiley proved enough to beat Stafford Rangers 3-0.

Tuesday fixtures - Division One South: Carlton Town v Stocksbridge Park Steels, Romulus v Shaw Lane AFC.

Intergro League Cup Quarter-Final: AFC Rushden & Diamonds v Buxton.