Residents' shock after lorry driver dies in Sheffield wall crash

Residents have expressed their shock and sadness after a lorry driver died when he crashed through a garden wall in Sheffield.

Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 1:45 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 6:52 pm
Fatal accident on Fulwood Road in Sheffield.

Police received reports around 7.15am yesterday that a lorry had crashed off Fulwood Road, close to the junction with Woodvale Road, into a residential garden.

The man driving the lorry was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.

Fulwood Road

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Following the tragedy, residents living in the houses and apartments nearby have expressed their shock and sent condolences to the driver and his family.

Mike Sorby, of Woodval Road, said: “It’s all very shocking. I just feel terribly sorry for the driver and his family, who have lost a loved one.”

Barbara Sorby added: “We heard a loud bang this morning. But as we are close to a busy road, you do often hear loud noises from things like dustbin lorries, so didn’t think too much of it at first.

“Then a neighbour rang to say that a lorry had crashed through the wall. We went outside, but the police had cordoned everything off by then. They arrived very quickly.”

Fulwood Road

Barbara said that police stopped all traffic – including pedestrians – on Fulwood Road for around two hours until the cordon was taken down.

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: “There was a very loud crash and my husband went out to see what had happened.

“He saw the lorry, but police arrived very fast.

“It’s just awful. I feel really sorry for the driver.”

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Officers were called to reports of a collision in Fulwood Road, Sheffield at about 7.15am this 

“It is reported that a Mercedes lorry had collided with a wall close to the junction with Woodvale Road.

“The man driving the lorry was taken to hospital but was sadly pronounced dead shortly after. “

Fulwood Road was closed between Endcliffe Vale Road and Shore Lane for around two hours.