Residents in Sheffield suburb spent the night in a sports centre following the discovery of a major gas leak.
They were evacuated from their homes while engineers carried out emergency repairs on Hatfield House Lane, Shiregreen, in the early hours of this morning.
The alarm was raised at 3.40am and police officers cordoned off the area as a precaution.
Residents from Hatfield House Lane and Winkley Terrace were offered emergency accommodation at Concord Sports Centre.
A spokesman for gas network and gas emergency service Cadent said: "In the early hours of this morning third party contractors carrying out work to the road in Hatfield House Lane damaged one of our gas mains.
"We are currently on site and are doing all we can to resolve things as soon as possible.
"Hatfield House Lane and Winkley Terrace are currently closed and a number of properties have been evacuated as a precaution."