Rapist beat jail ‘top dog’ with jar in sock

The prison
The prison
Have your say

A RAPIST transferred to a Doncaster jail fought back when he became the target of bullying inmates.

Daimon Peter Wallace, who was coming to the end of an eight-year sentence when he was moved to HMP Lindholme, was described as “a black Southerner in a Northern jail” when he found himself surrounded by a group of other prisoners.

The 22-year-old - nicknamed Mr Motivator because of his physical fitness - was not wanted on the wing because of his conviction for a sexual offence and other inmates had made veiled threats to prison officers, Doncaster Crown Court was told.

Prosecutor Philip Standfast said Wallace’s presence on the wing “caused disquiet” and one inmate, Matthew Clarke, told an officer he should not be there.

The prison officers felt trouble was brewing and a few minutes later Clarke was seen bleeding heavily from a scalp wound and unable to speak because of shock.

Police later established Wallace had hit him with a chocolate spread jar inside a sock.

Clarke, who was serving a 15 month’ sentence for a wounding offence, needed three stitches in a 1.5cm deep cut.

Defence counsel Tim Savage said it was made quite clear to Wallace that Clarke was ‘top dog’ in Lindholme and had surrounded himself with a group of hangers-on so he was used to getting his own way in the prison.

“He took on the role of telling the prison authorities what was on and what was not on. It was known that trouble was brewing and Wallace knew the threat was coming from the top man.

“When someone leaned over a balcony and shouted ‘Oi, London, get yourself up here’ he knew the confrontation had to take place. Clarke picked the wrong person to intimidate, a powerful young man able to defend himself.

“He had no difficulty taking the weapon from Clarke and swung it in a single blow. He accepts he should have taken the weapon and left it at that but Clarke was surrounded by his henchmen and this threat wasn’t going to go away and that was the split second decision he made,” said Mr Savage.

The prosecution accepted Wallace, of Brockley, London, had acted in self defence but had gone too far and he pleaded guilty to a charge of unlawful wounding.

Mr Savage said Wallace had since completed his sentence and had been accepted on a university business course. “He is an intelligent man with real motivation to build his own life again through education.”

Recorder Caroline Wigin said she accepted Wallace had inflicted a single blow “in circumstances of extreme provocation” and she sentenced him to 12 months’ jail, suspended for 18 months, with 200 hours of unpaid work.