Rape trial latest: Ched Evans denies hiding from CCTV cameras

Ched Evans
Ched Evans

Footballer Ched Evans has denied claims he attempted to hide his face from CCTV cameras as he left a hotel after allegedly raping a woman.

The Chesterfield striker, who used to play for Sheffield United, is accused of raping a woman who was took drunk to consent to sex.

Evans, who denies the charge, admits having sex with the woman in a hotel in North Wales in May 2011 but insists it was consensual.

At Cardiff Crown Court today he denies a suggestion that he had sneaked out of the hotel through a fire exit and that he attempted to hide his face from CCTV cameras.

He told jurors the woman, then 19, had given him consent to 'join in' after he walked into the £92 room where she was having sex with his friend, footballer Clayton McDonald.

A four-second CCTV clip showing Evans leaving the hotel through the fire exit door was played to the jury.

Simon Medland QC, prosecuting, asked Evans: "You came out of that fire door and deliberately tucked your head down ... you've got your head down so you would not be looking at the camera. What would you say to that?"

Evans replied: "I would say you were wrong."

Jurors previously heard Evans arrived at the hotel after receiving a text message from Mr McDonald, with whom he had been on a night out, saying: "I've got a bird."

During cross-examination, Evans admitted he had been 'childish' to go into the room to get a look at the woman his friend had taken back.

He said he had originally gone to the hotel to inform Mr McDonald that one of their friends had been arrested.

The court heard that the defendant's 18-year-old brother and a teenage friend peered through Mr McDonald's hotel room 'sniggering' and 'taking footage on their phone' while Evans went inside to get a key from reception.

Evans admitted he had 'lied' to receptionist Gavin Burrough when saying he needed a key card because his friend did not need the room anymore.

When questioned by Mr Medland about that decision, Evans said: "I had a drink. I was being childish. It was not anything more sinister than that."

He added: "It was not sophisticated. It was just drunken behaviour."

Evans was previously found guilty of raping the woman but this conviction was later quashed by the Court of Appeal.