Work paused on Sheffield care home development after urgent complaints from residents over tree felling

Council chiefs have stopped contractors from working on a site after residents raised frantic complaints about trees being felled.

Friday, 19th February 2021, 12:32 pm

Last November, developers were granted permission to build a four storey care home on land between 216B and 288 Twentywell Lane at Bradway.

There were almost 200 objections from local residents and the impact on local ecology was one of their main concerns.

When residents Jo Mallows and Gail Cooke saw trees being felled before conditions on the planning application had been agreed, they contacted the council’s planning department.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Contractors on site at Twentywell Lane (courtesy Jo Mallows)

In an email to planners, Ms Mallows said: “We have had no correspondence from yourselves with respect to the outstanding concerns relating to the huge number of planning conditions on site.

“Please can action be taken as a matter of priority to pause the works, until the outstanding conditions have been met, questions answered, and wildlife living on the site protected.”

Sheffield Council said it had received several reports. Coun Julie Grocutt, Cabinet member for development, said: “We have been investigating this situation as a matter of urgency as this was done without our knowledge or permission.

“We visited the contractors on site and confirmed that the majority of the work taking place is in accordance with the approved planning permission for the site to be redeveloped.

Residents are concerned about trees and wildlife on the development site at Twentywell Lane (courtesy Jo Mallows)

“However, we are aware of one tree that has been removed which was contrary to the approved plans.

“We have agreed with the contractors to stop work in the western section of the site so we can fully assess this area and further discussions are underway with the contractor to agree a way forward.

“All other trees that have been removed as part of this work are those that have been agreed on the approved landscaping plan.”

Coun Grocott said the work was to clear the site before development begins, which will be in the middle of March and ahead of the bird nesting season which starts on March 1.

She added: “Given that this is private land, there are no tree preservation orders and it is not within a conservation area, this is allowed.”

READ MORE:

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.