It could be an interesting result as Labour’s control over the council is held by just seven seats. If the party loses those, the council would go to no overall control.
Keep checking here for live updates through the day from the count, covered by local democracy reporter Lucy Ashton.
Sheffield Council election results live from the count
Last updated: Friday, 07 May, 2021, 16:53
- Voters went to the polls across Sheffield yesterday and the results will be coming in today (Friday May 7)
- The count is due to open at 9am with the first result due around noon
- Votes are being verified still with a delivery of postal votes due at 10.30am
- Reporter Lucy Ashton says it could be mid afternoon before the first result comes in
- Counting is underway. The Beighton count has started in the running track stadium. Park and Arbourthorne and Southey counts have started in the netball court. Shiregreen and Brightside is due to start counting there imminently
- Manor Castle, Mosborough, Birley and City counts starting.
- First result is in - Lib Dems WIN Beighton
- Labour HOLD Southey, Shiregreen and Brightside, and Birley
- Labour HOLD Manor Castle, candidate Anne Murphy moved from Crookes to this safe seat
- The Conservatives have come second in the safe Labour seats of Southey and Shiregreen and Brightside as well as Birley
- Ann Woolhouse - the new Beighton Lib Dem councillor - took the seat from Labour with a 42 majority.
- Labour HOLD Park and Arbourthorne
- The Greens HOLD City ward
- Labour HOLDS Burngreave. Biggest win of the day so far for Safiya Saeed
- Labour also HOLDS Firth Park and Mosborough
- Greens WIN Nether Edge and Sharrow
- Labour HOLDS Woodhouse
- Three big results just in - Greens GAIN Gleadless from Labour
- Council leader Bob Johnson loses his seat in Hillsborough to the Greens
- Lib Dems GAIN West Ecclesfield
- Labour HOLD Richmond on two seats
- Lib Dems HOLD both Dore and Ecclesall
- CONSERVATIVE WIN in Stocksbridge and Deepcar The first Tory councillor in Sheffield for 20 years
- Labour HOLDS Crookes and Crosspool
- Another gain for Greens, this time in Walkley
- Lib Dems WIN East Ecclesfield
- Greens WIN Broomhill
- BREAKING: LABOUR HAS LOST CONTROL OF SHEFFIELD COUNCIL
- Beauchief and Greenhill won by the Lib Dems
Beauchief and Greenhill was the final result in a rollercoaster day of results for Sheffield Council. Labour lost control of the council, and former Labour leader Bob Johnson lost his Hillsborough seat.
Sheffield now has its first Conservative councillor in 20 years in Stocksbridge. Another seven seats were taken by the Greens and Lib Dems.
There is a lot of uncertainty now and that is likely to be the case over the weekend. On Monday, there is also the count for the It’s Our City referendum on how the city council should run.
Thank you for reading our live blog and thank you to local democracy reporter Lucy Ashton who was working at the count today.
Reaction is coming in now from Sheffielders
Helen@Helenintgarden said: “Well it looks like there will be big changes in Sheffield whatever happens in the referendum... Labour has lost control of the council... and there are now several green councillors...
Reporter Lucy Ashton says: “Labour has LOST Sheffield Council The party lost eight seats. It means the council now goes to no overall control.”
It is 3.37pm and there are just three seats left to declare now, Broomhill and Sharrow Vale, West Ecclesfield and Beauchief
Reporter Lucy Ashton says: “Sheffield Council will have a new Leader after @Bob_of_Hills lost his seat by 334 votes Labour will also have to choose a new party Leader There are still seats to be declared in the local elections - and the referendum on Monday Nothing is certain right now.”
Reporter Lucy Ashton tweets :”Bob only became Leader of the Council in December after he took over from Julie Dore. He polled 2,013 votes - the Greens won by a 334 majority This is a devastating blow for Sheffield Labour.”