Councillor calls out government for 'scandalously' not paying the bill for safe cladding on Tower Block

The council said the new cladding will be up as soon as possible
The council said the new cladding will be up as soon as possible
0
Have your say

A Sheffield councillor has called out central government for not picking up the costs to provide safe cladding for Hanover Tower after it failed tests prompted by the Grenfell Tower disaster.

Sheffield City Council said during an inspection of all 24 tower blocks in Sheffield a single element of the cladding system on Hanover Tower, Broomhill, failed fire tests.

The council said they have already installed new fire doors and intend to reclad the tower block and install sprinklers in every flat as soon as possible, the cost of which is expected to be £3-4 million.

They have now asked central government to pick up the bill but are yet to be given any funding.

Coun Michelle Cook, Broomhill and Sharrow Vale ward, said: “Over the last eight years the government have starved local authorities of money and it is scandalous that the government are still not committing to cover the costs of essential work needed to ensure the safety of tower block tenants.

“The government are so divided and hamstrung by Brexit that they can barely function and once again it is local councils who are having to pay for this. It is simply not good enough and a more than a year after the horrors of the Grenfell disaster the government haven’t learnt anything.”

The council said they will continue to try and recover the money from government and in the meantime are working closely with residents on making safety improvements.

Coun Jim Steinke, cabinet for neighbourhoods and community safety, said: "Our officers and contractors are working hard to re-clad Hanover Tower as quickly as possible. We’ve been working with residents every step of the way to make sure that the cladding is completed to their satisfaction, and to the highest fire safety standards as we know how important it is for them to feel safe in their homes."