Sheffield tower block cladding investigation is delayed again after complaint

Residents at a Sheffield tower block will have to wait even longer for the findings of an investigation into why dangerous cladding was put on their building, after a named party objected to its contents.

Monday, 6th January 2020, 12:20 pm
Updated Tuesday, 7th January 2020, 11:56 am

Hanover Tower, in Broomhall, failed fire safety tests in the wake of the Grenfell disaster three years ago.

The council has since removed the dangerous cladding and are in the process of replacing it.

A report detailing the investigation’s findings was originally due to be finished and released by the end of 2017, but was delayed a number of times.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hanover Tower, Exeter Drive, Broomhall.

At the start of 2019, Janet Sharpe, director for housing, said the report was 95 percent complete, apologised for delays and said it would be published in March, which did not happen.

The latest deadline for the report was last December but this was pushed back by a complaint.

Councillor Paul Wood, cabinet member for neighbourhoods and community safety, said: "There was an objection from someone named in it which has delayed it. If no one had objected it would have been out before Christmas.

"There's been a meeting with residents to discuss why it's been delayed."

In a council meeting at the end of last year Coun Wood said residents would be given copies of the report first, before it was made public.

He added it was due to be released in the next couple of weeks.

Michael Mullin, who used to live and still has relatives living in Hanover Tower, said the council had ‘made a mockery’ of the situation.