Sheffield Council has a month's worth of PPE but ideally wants enough for three months

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Sheffield Council has four weeks worth of PPE but says ideally it wants enough for three months.

The council has given out more than 330,000 items of PPE per week with 85 per cent going to independent care homes.

Council director John Macklewraith said: "We have had four weeks worth of stock - we have 1.68m aprons in stock.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"Our challenge remains because we set ourselves the objective of a stock level of 12 weeks.

PPEPPE
PPE | User (UGC)
Read More
Sheffield Council apologises for ‘oversight’ which led to planning approval of 5...

"We have received national drops of PPE and had over ten drops from the government. It has provided ten to 20 per cent of our total need and the council procured the remaining 80 per cent through its own sources.

"We have delivered to over 200 establishments and 80 per cent goes to the independent care sector.

"For the last three weeks each South Yorkshire local authority has had a minimum of five days worth of supply to meet their demand."

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.