Frustration as buses are withdrawn from Sheffield estate after spate of attacks

Bus services have been withdrawn from parts of a Sheffield estate following a spate of attacks on vehicles.

Monday, 7th December 2020, 12:30 pm

Operator First South Yorkshire has suspended and re-routed services in Arbourthorne after objects were thrown, leading to concerns for the safety of drivers and passengers.

The 41 and 51 are suspended from Monday to Friday between 5pm until the end of service and on weekends from 12pm until the end of service.

Diversions have been in place for a week but passengers say they are struggling without their buses.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Councillors Ben Miskell, Sophie Wilson and Jack Scott on East Bank Road, Arbourthorne

Resident Stacey Mitchell said: ‘It definitely needs sorting. A lot of elderly residents rely on these services as a lifeline to independence.

"The 41 route had already been reduced to one an hour before this which is disgusting.

"We need to see some action from the police to stop this anti-social behaviour and get our bus services back.”

Local councillors Ben Miskell, Jack Scott and Sophie Wilson voiced their frustration with a banner at a bus stop saying ‘Arbourthorne Needs Buses’.

Coun Miskell said: “Many people have been getting in touch with me over the past few days, disgruntled that bus services have been diverted due to anti-social behaviour.

“This is causing a problem for people trying to get to work and also people who are trying to visit relatives across the city. I’ll be working over the next few hours and days with the police to make sure that we get our bus services back.”

First South Yorkshire said it appreciated the inconvenience but it had a duty of care to staff and customers and its main priority was for their safety.

Managing Director Nigel Eggleton said: “As soon as we can be reassured that the vandalism will stop and customers can travel safely with no threat of windows being smashed through objects being thrown at them, we will reinstate buses to the area.

“We are in communication with the police and local councillors on the matter and together we hope to rectify the problem as soon as possible.”

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.