Police examine CCTV footage after violence involving Sheffield United fans

A man arrested in Cleethorpes
A man arrested in Cleethorpes
Have your say

Detectives are examining CCTV and helicopter footage in a bid to identify thugs involved in violent clashes between Sheffield United and Grimsby fans.

Violence flared after United's pre-season friendly against Grimsby Town in Cleethorpes on Saturday, with a police officer suffering a head injury and suspected broken ankle after bottles were hurled at him during the trouble.

Police in Cleethorpes

Police in Cleethorpes

Shocked holidaymakers, some with children, fled as fans began throwing bottles and had running battles with baton-wielding police officers.

Six people were arrested on the day, four of whom have now been charged with assault, affray and public order offences.

The other two have been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

Four of the six arrested were Sheffield United fans.

A man arrested in Cleethorpes

A man arrested in Cleethorpes

Humberside Police said more arrests are expected More arrests are expected, warning that the force will 'come down hard on offenders' and seek football banning orders for those involved.

Match commander, Superintendent David Hall, said: “Cleethorpes was exceptionally busy this weekend with families holidaying and enjoying the weather.

“As with all big matches, officers were brought on duty early to assist in the policing operation for the pre-season friendly match at Blundell Park between Grimsby Town and Sheffield United.

“No offences were reported before the game but a number of people, both Grimsby Town and Sheffield United supporters, were involved in disorder after the match.

“Two police officers received injuries, with missiles being thrown towards officers.

“Quite frankly this sort of behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

"Football matches should be friendly sporting events that families can attend and enjoy. We will not allow the minority of people to spoil such occasions and will continue to work with the football clubs in our area to tackle the thugs intent on committing violence and disruption."

Businesses in Cleethorpes said they had been left counting the cost of the violence between rival football fans.

Some amusement arcades dropped their shutters as fans went on the rampage.

And Cal Campbell, deputy manager of The Fiddler, estimated his takings were down £1,500, claiming people avoided the town after the trouble.

Anyone with information should call Humberside Police om 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.