Plymouth Argyle 2 Doncaster Rovers 3: John Marquis ensures the day is his as Grant McCann's men make it four in a row'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹'‹

John Marquis marked his 100th league appearance for Doncaster Rovers with a brace as they secured a fourth consecutive win with victory over beleaguered Plymouth Argyle.
Plymouth Argyle v Doncaster RoversPlymouth Argyle v Doncaster Rovers
Plymouth Argyle v Doncaster Rovers

Matty Blair also found the net in what turned out to be a comfortable victory for Rovers after an even first half.

Rovers started the brighter of the two sides but met a Plymouth outfit that pressed hard from front to back.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After struggling for openings, they broke the deadlock on 18 minutes when Marquis netted.

Rovers caught the Plymouth defence napping with James Coppinger sliding a simple pass into the area for Marquis to collect and drill in at the near post.

Plymouth took 20 minutes to muster their first attempt on goal with Graham Carey curling a strike which was a simple save for Marko Marosi.

But the Pilgrims were growing into the game. Ryan Edwards planted a header narrowly wide from a corner while Lameiras attempted to catch out Marosi with a backheeled volley but the Rovers keeper was alert to it.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Marquis was inches away from doubling the score when he curled a shot from the edge of the area which rattled the far post.

Marosi kept the score level with two fine saves in quick succession when he tipped away at full stretch from Freddie Ladapo and punched clear from Lameiras.

But he could not nothing to keep out Lameiras' strike moments later. The Plymouth forward curled a stunning high effort from 20 yards into the top corner.

Rovers started the second half much the stronger, demonstrating patient possession play with superb movement and passing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And they got their reward via such incisiveness on 57 minutes.

Marquis played in Mallik Wilks on the byline and he squared a ball to the on-rushing Blair who slammed in first time from 12 yards.

Plymouth began to see more of the ball but Rovers looked the more likely to score the next.

And they would have on 75 minutes but for a brilliant double save from Matt Macey, first denying a rasping drive from Wilks and then a follow up from Alfie May.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rovers looked more and more dangerous on the break as the minutes ticked by and should have wrapped up the win on 84 minutes. Alfie Beestin fed May who slammed a shot just wide.

But the points were wrapped up in the last minute when Marquis surged clear, drew out Macey and clipped a shot into the far corner from a tight angle.

There was some time for the result to be put in doubt when Graham Carey drilled a shot in off the bar from a tight angle five minutes into seven added on.

Plymouth: Macey; Smith-Brown, Edwards, P Grant, Wylde; Songo'o (Ainsworth 76), Fox; Carey, Lameiras (Fletcher 82), J Grant (O'Keefe 63); Ladapo. Subs: Dyson, Letheren, Rooney, Law.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rovers: Marosi; Mason, Wright, Butler, Andrew; Blair, Kane, J Anderson (Crawford 59); Wilks (Beestin 80), Marquis, Coppinger (May 59). Subs: Lawlor, T Anderson, Amos, Taylor.

Referee: Kevin Johnson

Attendance: 8,532 (257 away)