Person rescued from flat in Sheffield

There were dramatic scenes in Sheffield this morning when a person was rescued from a flat amid fears of leaking gas being ignited.

Sunday, 26th March 2017, 8:41 am
Updated Sunday, 26th March 2017, 10:36 am

It happened just after 5am when fire crews were called to a property on Wordsworth Drive in the north of the city.

A reported bin fire damaged the gas supply to the property, causing an explosion which blew out a window.

A crew from Elm Lane Fire Station rescued a person from the first floor, and brought the outside fire under control.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Surrounding properties were evacuated while crews worked.

A structural engineer and fire investigation officer were at the scene this morning, assessing damage.