Video shows moment Swedish Candle explodes in family's garden

Firefighters have issued a warning over the use of Swedish Candles after one exploding in a family’s garden.

Thursday, 4th July 2019, 16:37 pm
Updated Thursday, 4th July 2019, 18:14 pm

This footage shows one exploding while the homeowners are sat on the patio.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said officers thought the explosion was caused by granite in the paving slab.

The candle exploded in the family's garden. Picture: South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue

In a statement, the service said: “If you use one, or plan to, be careful. This caused more damage than the video suggests.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Don't place them on paving slabs or grass – instead place them safely on bricks or a metal grill.”