The customer, who wished to remain anonymous, said they witnessed practices that could be “of great detriment to public health” while visiting a branch of the sandwich chain in The Oasis, Meadowhall, on June 25.
It is alleged that a worker “coughed directly” onto the food and surrounding preparation area at the store, before coughing onto her arm and gloves.
Watching on, the customer said the worker then continued to make food - wearing the same pair of gloves - while another finished preparing the sandwich and took payment. Neither were wearing a face mask.
“This same member of staff got her phone of out her pocket and commenced a phone call whilst still wearing the gloves she had made the sandwich with,” the shocked customer added.
“I was silently horrified, particularly in this very worrying time of a global pandemic due to coronavirus which can be passed onto through bodily fluids, particularly through coughing.”
After witnessing the poor hygiene standards, the customer was ‘lost for words’ and ending up throwing their food away.
In a statement, Subway said: “We have investigated the complaint with the Franchise Owner who has reviewed the store’s CCTV footage and spoken to both of her employees. Due to the serious nature of this complaint we would like to firstly reassure all our guests that we take their health and safety very seriously.
“In these unprecedented times, ahead of any store reopening, all Sandwich Artists™ complete additional hygiene and customer service training, and we can confirm this was completed by both employees in the store.
“In addition, face masks, whilst not a legal mandatory requirement, have been provided to all Subway Franchise Owner employees for their discretionary use to ensure the continued protection of guests, third party delivery and supplier drivers and the Sandwich Artists™ themselves.
“The store’s CCTV shows the first Sandwich Artist™ wiping her face on the arm of her t-shirt, which was due to the high temperature of the day.
“The second Sandwich Artist™ can be seen putting on a fresh pair of gloves before preparing food.”