Sheffield woman told to ‘expect the worst’ after dog accidentally ate rat poison

A Sheffield dog owner had the scare of her life when her 13-week-old Bull-Pei almost died after accidentally eating rat poison whilst out on a walk.

Wednesday, 2nd June 2021, 6:45 pm

Emilie Jade Rodgers said she was walking her dog, Coco near her house on Stanhope Road on Bank Holiday Monday and is now warning other dog owners to remain vigilant after the terrifying incident.

The 20-year-old said the dog collapsed not long after they reached home and appeared to be very weak.

She said: “After a normal walk from my house on Stanhope Road round to the Premier Shop on Alnwick Road, my dog has some how managed to eat some toxic poison!

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Coco almost lost her life after accidentally consumed rat poison whilst on a walk with her owner. Picture by Emilie Jade Rodgers

"We have narrowed it down to the patch off grass (next to Hollin Bush) but not 100 per cent sure.

"We were out for approximately 30 mins arriving home around 2.45pm. By 3pm she had collapsed in her bed.

"By 5pm, she hadn't moved and was very, very sleepy. She had no strength and couldn't move, she wasn't drinking or even trying to open her eyes.

"By 9pm we were on our way to the emergency vets where upon arrival she had a seizure, she was taken from us and we were told to expect the worst.”

Coco is recovering well at home. Picture by Emilie Jade Rodgers

Emilie said Coco had to spend the night on drips and had her stomach pumped.

“By 9am this morning (Tuesday), we had the phone call that she made it through the night and we could go and collect her.

"She is home but it was a very close call.”

She said the vet confirmed that Coco had eaten rat poison and would have died on the same night if she was not taken to the vets.

"This is a 13-week-old puppy and I would hate for anyone else to go through what we went through last night.

"The vets that saved her life was Green Veterinary Practice I’m ever so grateful for the care they gave my baby girl. I was so scared it was going to be the last time I would see her,” she said.

She said Coco is now recovering well at home and that she is being spoilt with loads of new toys.