The 44-year-old mother-of-two who only wanted to be known as Lindsey, said Handsworth Grange Community Sports College informed the parents on Wednesday (June 16) through a letter that the June 29 prom has been cancelled.
According to the letter signed by the head of school Nick Parker and made available to The Star, the cancellation was due to the announcement by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Monday to delay the final stage of easing lockdown restrictions until July 19.
This means, the school said strict social distancing would have to take place and that due to students being off the school roll from June 25, the school could not hold an event indoors for over 30 pupils as this would be classed as a social gathering.
Lindsey however found it disappointing that the school decided to cancel the prom altogether as she and other parents have spent hundreds on dresses, shoes, makeup and hair.
She said: "The last two school years have been terrible for them so parents want to do everything for their child and make sure they have a good time and there's something to remember.
"They were looking forward to having the prom and now less than two weeks it was due to take place, they cancelled it."
Instead of organising a prom, the school is now planning a new Year 11 Leavers celebration, which will take place on June 25 within the school's compound where they can socialise and enjoy food and drink which will be provided by the school.
The free-of-charge celebration will consist of a two-hour leavers assembly where students will be joined by tutors and Head of Year to celebrate their time at the Handsworth school.
This will then be followed by another two hours where students can socialise with each other and staff outside in the Sports Centre reception area.
Those who have previously paid for a prom ticket will also be able to get a full refund.
But Lindsey said: "They've organised a leavers' assembly where they will have pizza and ice cream instead. So I'm not quite sure how that compensates for not having a prom."
She said she has spent more than £400 on the dress, alteration, the shoes and the makeup, which will not be used.
"As a parent of a girl, girls have to plan ahead. Boys can just go out and buy suits from a shop but girls have to go shopping for the dress.
"You've got to order it, wait for it to arrive and need to be fitted for it. There is no way we could've waited until Boris' announcement and gone to look for a dress.
"There's just no way that could have happened. We couldn't have done that,” she said.
She said she has been in touch with the school to express her disappointment.
The school has been contacted for comments.