McDonald's customers scream in terror after rat runs through middle of South Yorkshire restaurant

Customers at a South Yorkshire McDonald’s screamed in terror after noticing a rat running through the busy restaurant.

Tuesday, 4th June 2019, 9:08 am
Updated Tuesday, 4th June 2019, 6:29 pm

The rat scurried through the front doors of the Rotherham McDonald’s on Bridgegate at around 10.30am on Monday, leaving customers horrified.

Footage uploaded to social media showed a commotion outside the restaurant as two McDonald’s workers tried to shepherd the rat out of the restaurant.

The two staff members used a cardboard box and a shovel to guide the rat back through the front doors before flinging it onto the street outside.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rat in McDonald's - Credit: Joanne Bamforth
Rat in McDonald's - Credit: Joanne Bamforth

Joanne Bamforth was standing outside the restaurant when the rat was removed and said the incident left her shaken.

She said: “I saw a commotion in the doorway of McDonald’s in Rotherham town centre this morning,

“So I stood back and as the staff and managers of McDonald’s were running around in the door way, I asked a young lady what all the fuss was about.

“She said, they were trying to catch a rat, It was at that point I got my phone out and video what was happening.

“Everyone was stood around screaming and to be fair I was also a little bit shaken.”

McDonald’s said it was forced to briefly close the restaurant while the rat was removed.

A spokesperson said: “Hygiene and cleanliness is of the utmost importance to us.

“Unfortunately, this morning a rat ran through the front doors of the restaurant, however, it was quickly contained in a small area next to the doors and removed.

“The restaurant was very briefly closed while the issue was being dealt with and the appropriate area was cleaned.

“The Environmental Health Officer was immediately called and was happy with the way the situation was handled.

“This issue did not in any way affect the kitchen or areas in close proximity.”