Boy, 6, discharged from Sheffield Children's Hospital after being hit by car outside school

A young boy who was hit by a car outside his school has been discharged from Sheffield Children’s Hospital – now his family are calling for better safety measures to stop further incidents happening to other children.

Thursday, 1st October 2020, 7:00 am

Harrison Martin spent five days at Sheffield Children’s Hospital where he received treatment for a head injury and badly broken ankle following the incident on Friday, September 18.

Luckily, the six-year-old didn’t suffer any long-term damage and is now recovering at home – although he is off school for a few weeks while his injuries heal.

His father, John Martin, said: “He hit the front wing of the car, his head took most of the impact. The first two days in hospital he was in shock, after that it was about managing his pain.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Harrison Martin spent five days in Sheffield Children's Hospital after being hit by a car outside his school

Read More

Read More
Primary school pupils donate leavers party money to Sheffield Children’s Hospita...

"If he’d have gone in front of the car it’d have been a completely different story.”

Harrison was leaving Monkwood Primary School, in Rotherham, at around 3:15pm when he was hit by a car along stretch of road outside the school gates.

John said: "Even though it is a 30mph road, I think that around school times and with the way people park it is too fast for the area.”

Harrison's parents are now calling for better safety measures outside Monkwood Primary

The family claim that although Rotherham Council received funding to make the roads safer, Estate Road was deemed ‘unsuitable’.

They are now backing a petition, launched by a fellow parent, for a crossing guard to help children cross the road safely.

Councillors in Rawmarsh requested additional road safety measures through the Neighbourhood Road Safety Concerns Fund earlier this year.

Rotherham Council said in a statement: “The Neighbourhood Road Safety Concerns Fund has provided for dozens of small scale interventions including signage and road markings at sites across the borough. However it is not intended to fund bigger projects requiring more significant works.

“In this location site constraints such as the width of the road and the residential properties near the school have meant that the Neighbourhood Fund was not able to deliver the specific requested works.”

The council says it continues to carry out additional investigations at the site to look into road safety improvements.

It added: “We are conscious of the concerns raised by both residents and the ward councillors.”

The petition now has over 550 signatures.

Thank you to all who support local journalism with a digital or print subscription to The Star. The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support. We couldn't do it without you.

Subscribe here www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.