We could vaccinate city in two months without the weak link - Editor's comment
and live on Freeview channel 276
As the vaccines are rolled out, it is clear that lesson hasn’t been learnt. There are some areas of Sheffield where vaccinations have been incredibly fast, efficient and successful. Yet there are also hundreds of thousands more still to go, pharmacists who are experts in this field yet aren’t allowed to join the efforts and a supply chain that can’t keep up with the boots on the ground.
Don’t take my word for it, Heeley GP Ollie Hart says this: “Really pleased with the momentum we are generating around safe rapid vaccination in primary care. We vaccinated five per cent of our entire local population in 3.5 days. We could easily vaccinate everyone in two months if we had supply chain.”
So there’s the challenge which our government must rise to and The Star team, alongside our sister papers, will be pushing them every step of the way. We listen to our local experts but we also hear your individual concerns and have sent these urgent questions to Downing Street, provided by our readers.
- I am disabled/housebound. Will my GP surgery or local chemist be able to get the vaccine to me at home?
- I am shielding. Do I need to continue to shield after I have had my first dose of the vaccine?
- Given the concern about the spread of the virus in supermarkets, will the government prioritise the vaccination of shop workers?
- My partner is shielding and is due to get the vaccine - can I get it earlier to keep them safe?
- Will pharmacists be able to help with the wait time for a second dose?
- What is the detailed selection criteria within the over-80s group. My mum, 93, is still waiting to hear.
- I have had one jab but the second is now delayed. How safe am I to go to the supermarket?
- Can they visit workplaces and administer it there?
- I'm classed as extremely vulnerable and I'm a teacher. My sister is a social worker, able to do the vast majority of her work from home, and is not vulnerable. So why is it she will probably get the vaccine before me?